History


The Civil Engineering program was created in 1950, two years after the University of Los Andes was born. The purpose of the program was to become the pioneer and leader of modern engineering in the country. In its early years, the program was conceived as a joint program with the University of Illinois in United States. The first three years were taken in Los Andes and the last two in Illinois with double degree. This symbiosis allowed the Department to adopt from its beginning a modern mentality and its progressive conception of engineering and, in addition, to commit unrestrictedly to excellence at all levels: from its professors, its facilities, its program and, of course, its students.

Given the severity of environmental problems, the need to mitigate the undesirable effects of progress and to rethink the country’s development in terms of sustainability, the Environmental Engineering Program was created in 1999 and the Department’s name was changed to Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering.